Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bang-up and Hang-ups can happen to you!

"I'm sorry to say so
but, sadly, it's true
that Bang-ups
and Hang-ups
can happen to you."
~Dr. Seuss

When this news came to us we always imagined that something like this happens to other people. But I think I have gotten the message that it can happen to us as well. None of us are immune to challenges and hardships. I made a comment in the beginning to a friend of mine that this must be Gods way to teach me how to receive service. Both my husband and I have always enjoyed giving to others and serving. Sometimes we spread ourselves too thin, but when it came to challenges in our lives we never thought about asking for help ourselves. I feel awkward and undeserving of such generosity, because I felt like we were self sustained. Even now when people ask I don't know what to tell them, because I don't know what we need. There isn't a manual that tells us how to ask for help and when we might need it. Example, last week was a marathon week to say the least but toward the end of the week on Thursday after 4 days of appointments and procedures, I came home and thought for the first time in my life, I wish I would have one of those church meals for my family. For me to come to that conclusion, I realized that this might only be the beginning to a long hard road. We haven't even started treatments. I have realized I have to be Mom, House Manager, and Nurse. Not like I haven't before, but this time, I won't have the added support from my husband during those treatment times. Usually he is my relief at the end of the day, and I'm not going to have that this time. I have to be there for him and my boys. At some point I may even have to be full time provider again, if my husband isn't able to maintain his job. I have to say, this part of the journey has only just begun and I can't even begin to explain the blessings we have received from our friends and family. I do have to admit there are a lot of ups and downs so far, but what I am learning is to accept the wonderful generosity of others. Service feels good when you give and when I have been in need in the past I have often thought I could just push through and handle it myself.
Last weekend at the end of another long day, we came home to find several bags of food on our porch. Our dear friends from Bellevue travelled 45 minutes to bring us some freezer meals that they prepared for us. Food is always a hard thing with our family because of how picky we all are, but I have to admit the food was pretty amazing. Not the typical tuna casserole. Our first taste of the meals was a frozen pizza which was perfect that night because it was late and we were tired. The next meal we dug into was the tortilla soup. Aaron and I gobbled up the tortilla soup in a couple of days. They included spare ribs, roast beef sandwich and beef stew. All we have to do is thaw and throw it in our crock pot the day we want to use it. How nice to not have to prepare anything, but how nice we can decide what we want on different day. I think we have been truly blessed so thank you Ellisa and Andrew and thank you for the link to the website where these recipes are www.sixsistersstuff.com. I think I'm a fan. :)
It's amazing how quickly people respond to situations like this and how our friends that we chat with daily and hang out with, become our biggest advocates and support. This week two of our neighbors stopped by and brought with them a plan. They showed us a website that they put together for us, and told how quickly and eagerly people jumped on and signed up for meals. All the slots filled up within a couple of hours, then they proceeded to tell us that the neighborhood and some additional friends are donating to help pay for cleaning service on the day of Aaron's treatment, to make sure the house is sanitary for his return. Along with that they set up another website for donations to help us pay for the medical expenses. I also have a babysitter who offered to help watch the boys when I need during treatments, because we are friends and she doesn't want me to worry about whether or not I can pay. Just to ask and she will watch them. I can't believe that this is happening.
When they told us this, I cried and even now while I'm writing this I am tearing up. Aaron even admitted he was humbled and overwhelmed by the outpouring of support, he even broke down himself later that night when it all sunk in. I don't think I have ever seen my husband cry as much as I have than through this whole experience.


We don't know what to expect and we don't know what is going to happen, but we do know we have amazing people around us and that we couldn't be more blessed. Thank you Traci and Tabitha and all of Crystal Firs and the strangers that have also jumped in not knowing us. There are so many good people in this world and I think we are pretty lucky to be surrounded by this kind of selfless generosity. Just another testament that God is watching out for us. Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. we love you guys. :) And so glad you are getting lots of help and support. We hope we can continue to help out too with the babysitting - even though we aren't as close as your neighbors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You know we will ask you. You're not off the hook. :) Love you!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. It looks like Aaron is either joking around in this picture or trying not to smile. :) Sounds like an Aaron thing anyways. Let us know if there is anything we can do even though we are across the country. We love you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, he isn't. This is him being sincere. :) I know it's hard to see him like this and think that.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to your George Bailey moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ericka - First off, I want to say what a lovely job you've done with this blog - I've always thought that Dr. Seuss was very profound, indeed! Secondly, and most importantly, I wanted to let you know how glad I am that we moved into this neighborhood, that I got to harass you over Dairy Queen, and that you came into the library looking for a pen, because you and your family are simply awesome! If you need anything at all; from meals, to child care to rides, or ANYTHING! Please, please call me!

    ReplyDelete